Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY Ribbon Garland


I have been wanting to make a ribbon garland for quite some time now. I think they are so stunning! I am in desperate need of a craft ( since the hubs is gone for a week), and I have a teething baby! I thought this would be a nice little escape for me since I love to just get lost in a project. Yesterday, to relieve stress, I cleaned my bathroom. Making a ribbon garland is much more fun I believe!!

I got cheap fabric from Wal-mart. It was 2 bucks a yard. This technically isn't ribbon hanging, but it is fabric made to look like ribbon strips. See where I am going here? Ribbon is much more expensive for a project like this. I opted for peach, cream and a little bit of mint green for mine, but go crazy with fun prints/patterns and different colors. The less you think about it, the better they look in my opinion. I chose solid fabric.

What you will need:

Roughly 2 yards of fabric ( in each color) depending on how long you want your garland

Self healing mat

Rotary cutter ( a major time saver when it comes to cutting fabric)

Jute twine

Fabric Scissors

A baby in over- sized pjs to crawl in your piles of ribbon .......ok, not really, but that is what I got!

About an hour of your time


I used my mat to roughly measure how thin/thick I wanted each strip to be. 


As you can see, they are not even nor are they all the same size. Imperfection = perfection with this project. It gives the garland some dimension.


Baby....

Take each of your strips and tie them in a knot onto the jute twine.

Then, simply scrunch it right up next to the previous knot you made so there is no space between the ribbons.

Then, cute the remaining fabric down to about a 1/2 of an inch. This just gives the top of the garland a nice clean line. I debated leaving the extra fabric at the top, but it made it look to "messy". To each their own!
VOILA!!!!!




These are great stored away for a special occasion, hanging in a nursery, or even anywhere in your house for that matter. Have fun with it!

Hope you all enjoy your Thursday!


3 comments:

  1. Love it! The colors look beautiful together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I made a similar ribbon chandelier for our master bedroom (from a Beautiful Mess tutorial) so this might be a fun tie-in for my girls' new nursery!

    Love your blog!
    Sarah

    the Reverie blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for sharing. Do you make bows using these Grosgrain Ribbon from Yama? I like them either. I usually Wholesale Ribbon from them. It's a great choice.

    ReplyDelete